18 August 2017

Eight Ball Answers ~ Yes!

Greetings Dear Reader,

I think that our society has lost its understanding of this word.  We say it all the time.  This is the most simple and definitive positive affirmation of a question.  It is one syllable that is clear in meaning. 

“Will you take out the trash as you are leaving?” 
“Yes.”

One has just entered into a contract.  Then we equivocate.  We do so with words that follow the affirmation.  “Yes…(pause), unless there is green cheese in the bag.”   We make our unconditional affirmation conditional.   We leave ourselves a back door. 

We do this on small things or large things.   We say yes and then look for the loopholes.  We violate our commitment then justify with indignation and anger.  “I said yes but things changed.”

Saying yes is an exchange of power.  You have the power to say no right up until you say yes.  You can bring all the situational ethics into the question you wish but it is still your choice to say yes or no.  If you say yes you have an obligation.

I have failed at this. I have hurt others through this failure.  My obligation is to let my yes be yes.  There may be honest variables to consider.  If there are then I must not say yes.   I must use the if/then formula.  If it is not raining then I will come to the picnic.  We must be clean, clear, and honest in our communication.   I must be no matter what anyone else is.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment