29 August 2017

Second Thoughts – Stop Fighting for Bronze and Stone

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Let me be very clear for those who do not already know it.  Theologically I am very conservative.  That does not mean that I fit into the group that some would call the religious right.  In fact, I believe that given the nature of my position on many things they might not want me in their company. 

What I am concerned about at the moment is that those who do agree with me in many ways about following Christ are not rising up to make it clear that statues and monuments do not natter nearly as much as the love and respect required to live out the Gospel of Christ.  There is no human constructed image that matters more than the impression we leave when we choose stone and metal over people. 

I am southern born and reared.  I understand the noble heritage of some aspects of the south.  I also acknowledge that aspects of southern history still bring harmful legacies to life.  As Christ followers none of that needs to matter as much as the hearts, minds, and souls of those who are harmed by the negative aspects of southern history. 

We can build factions around this issue all we wish.  Instead I must not care about the monuments as much as I care about the message.  It is never what we once stood for.  It is what I stand for today.  We need to fight for the rights and safety of all humans no matter what we think of what they think.  Nothing can replace lovingly listening to those who are hurt and sharing compassion with them.  I will not cling to any “thing” at the cost of my ability to share Christ with others.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment