25 September 2017

Masks ~ Closing Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Even the most honest among us wears a mask at times.  I do not think it possible to be completely free of them until we are in a much different world.  Just yesterday I needed to mask my feelings to keep the peace. 

Like an addiction to an analgesic we often wear the mask until we love, long forgetting what our true faces look like.  “How do I take off a mask when it stops being a mask? When it's as much a part of me as I am?” (Mr. Robot) 

That is the danger of the mask.  It can become fused to us; part of us.  We become the thing we pretend to be and cannot discern where our true selves leave off.  Whether the mask is affixed by others or self-ordained we are the only ones who can choose to abandon it.  We are the ones who affix it anew in our preparations for the day.

I am required to be who I am created to be by God.  Perhaps the greatest complement I have ever been given was when a friend recently told me that you get the same “me” in every situation.  Even under the guise of this nam-de-plum I am the same man.  I carry the same wounds, scars, and triumphs.  I carry the requirement to love everyone into every situation.

Perhaps it is the masks we choose that cause us to inflict so much pain upon each other.  We fear that who we are behind the mask will be found unloved, unneeded, and unwanted.  Yet the one who loves me; who gave his life for me and my reclamation sees further past the mask than ever could any man.  Seeing who I am he proclaims that he loves me and it is the real me that he loves. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment