18 September 2017

Masks ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

It occurred to me whilst I was out this weekend that Halloween is upon us.  The shops are filled with costumes, candy, and decorations of the macabre.  My first thought for Halloween is always toward candy.

That is really all the use I have for the American version of Halloween.  I don’t really go in for the costumes, decorations, and parties.  Since my health forbids the candy the whole thing is rather lost on me.  Except of course when it comes to my Grandsons. 

They are already planning and plotting their costumes and candy haul.  Should you like to see something further about Halloween from me you might enjoy my chapter on it in Sheetrock on the Road.   What has my focus right now though is masks. 

We wear them all year round.  We hide who we are for certain situations to people not in that situation.   Someone told me this week that when you are with me in any situation you get me.  I wonder if that makes people uncomfortable.

The story is almost cliché.  Someone shows up at the masquerade without a mask (should I be spelling that masque for continuity?).  He or she is out of place due to the lack of hidden identity.  To be just there is also the opposite where the party is not a costume party and he or she has been told it is. 

The point here is that we are out of place if we do not wear the mask when we are supposed to be wearing it.  We are not fitting into the spirit of things.  For me masks bring on thoughts of hiding who we are.  That is all fine for celebration and a little mystery.  The thoughts dancing through my head this week are concerning the ones we wear to get through life.

I have never really fit in anywhere.  I am sure that part of the reason is that even as a small boy I would be the one to point out if the Emperor had not clothes.  If you do not know this tale then here is a link to it:  The Emperor’s New Suit.  It is a very short read but will provide excellent context to our journey this week.  I hope you join me as I ponder the wearing of social masks and my need to make my way in a culture that is uncomfortable when we reject them.  As always, Dear Reader, I value your input.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment