20 September 2017

Masks ~ Social Situations

Greetings Dear Reader,

I overheard a conversation between two friends who were planning an evening out.  They were discussing what persona they would adopt depending on where they would go for the evening.  They discussed what they would pretend to be or what they had already pretended to be at places they already visited.

How often do we put on masks for our social situations?  We become something we are not in order to fit in or impress.  Instead of being who we are we take on the acceptable visage of the party.  We adopt the mask of the moment to be who we think other expect us to be in the setting.

The problem is that if that is what the majority of people in the setting are doing then everyone is not who they are.  Just thinking about that gives me a heartache (and perhaps a headache).  When we spend time and effort being something we are not to impress those who are not what they are then we gain nothing.

I am not saying that differing behaviors for diverse social situations is wrong.  Rather, it is often called for.  That does not mean that within the suit of the moment that we cannot be our true selves.  I do not have to falsely become someone else. 

In truth, I must always be who I am in any situation.  I must be polite and respect the customs of others.  I might even have to suit up for the social requirements.  The man in the suit, however, must always be an honest loving follower of Christ.  If I wear any other mask I do great wrong.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment