14 September 2017

Minced Words ~ I Will Always Be There for You

Greetings Dear Reader,

I try not to talk about the things I do for others.  I sometimes discuss them with my children to set an example and because I want to be accountable for what I do.  Mostly I want to do good in secret. 

Over a twenty-five-year teaching history I have taught over five thousand students.  I have explained to every class on the first day of class that once someone is one of my students they are for life.  Pass, fail, hate or love me, I will care about them for the rest of my life.  Every once in a while, a student reaches out to me for questions, concerns, or to share his or her success.  I find great joy in all of this. 

I will always respond to them.  I will help if I can.  Each time, however, I am reminded of the times I have failed to be there when I said I would be there.  I am reminded of the people who promised to always be there for me who are not because they found me wanting in some way or something else mattered more to them.

We see memes so often that speak of crisis or difficulty teaching us who our friends are.  This is such a sad commentary to me.  We are supposed to be a community that is bound by the requirement to care for each other.  We are supposed to be there whenever there is need not just during hurricanes and death. 

I must find ways to help others no matter what my situation is.  I can always find a way to be kinder, more generous, and present.  Even if I cannot help I can be there.  I can listen, comfort, or just sit in silence.  I can set aside my agenda and be present for the needs of others.  I do not want to mince the words that I will be there for others. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment