13 September 2017

Minced Words ~ I Will Never Abandon My Faith

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of my dearest friends expressed his concern to me some years ago that his adult child was “losing his/her faith.”  We talked long about it.  He told he was reassured by the child that he/she would never abandon the faith that we share.

At this point that child no longer believes in God and has given up all aspects of faith.  When we connected recently I could not be prepared for the well of grief in this father’s heart.  He is broken in so many ways because this child he loves has chosen to leave behind that which was once precious.

I realize that there are reasons why this happens.  I understand it is difficult to navigate the complexities of culture with one’s faith unchallenged.  What I do not understand is the failure to see the consequences of this choice as it impacts those we have assured that we will not lose our faith.

My faith must come first in all things.  I have journeyed through some dark times when it was challenged and I had to cling to it for all that I had.  I have failed at times to live it properly.  At times living out my faith costs more and is harder that I like. 

No matter what is in front of me I have promised others that I will never abandon my faith.  I will fail and have struggles but I will not betray those who see my faith as an example by mitigating my struggles through unbelief.  I will not betray God by disbelieving.

Further, there are things I want in my life that I could have were I to abandon faith.  There are things that would be easier were I to channel and focus my baser nature.  I have already traded too much for that in the past.  I will not cease to work daily to walk in faith and try to get a purchase on the humility required to do so. 

I can mince the words I promised to God and people.  I can explain away my faith with simple turning of phrases and suitable application of self-deception.  The problem is that I really do believe.  I have to lie to myself to accept that my faith is unfounded.  I have to betray hard-won reason and growth.  At the end of the day Dear Reader, the price is just too high.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment