18 September 2017

Second Thoughts – In Defense of Early Risers

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

I have been a short sleeper most of my life.  I usually sleep only four or five hours out of any twenty-four.  If I sleep longer than that it is due to illness or medication.  Because of that I am a very early riser.  I am usually up by 4:00 AM without the aid of an alarm clock.  It is really quite a wonder that I survived childhood and that my mother dared to give me siblings.

When people discover that I am a short sleeper (as opposed to being an insomniac) they offer all kinds of advice on how I could sleep longer.  A former college roommate suggested that he could hit me in the head with a rubber mallet each night.  Thusly concussed he was sure that I would sleep longer and more soundly.  I declined the offer.

Other offers have been sleep studies, drugs, and brain surgery to name just a few.  It makes me wonder what bothers others so much about my not sleeping more.  Some express guilt at sleeping too much.  Some explain how they need much more sleep or they will become murderous.  Too often the revelation brings questions about and speculation concerning what must be wrong with me.

I want to assure you Dear Reader that I use the time for good and not nefarious purposes.  This early morning time when I am up and most of those I know in slumber is when I have my quiet time with God, write my BLOG, and work on my novels.  It is also when I take the time to pray for you and your expressed needs. 

When I lived in a colder house and not alone I would shower early to assure that there was ample hot water for those who followed.  I could use time to prepare substantial breakfasts for those who would awaken later.   The curse comes for others when I am up and ready to go when they are just clearing the cob webs.

Recently someone told me I had no right to be witty at six in the morning.  I explained that I had already been up and creative for two hours.  She looked at me as if I had just confessed to drowning puppies in the tears of toddlers.  She assured me that my being up doing anything at that hour on purpose was surely a form a madness.

Fear not Dear Reader.  I will not require you join me during the wee hours of the morning.  I will not speak to you loudly when you do arise from your slumber.  I will almost always have already prayed for you, made a fresh pot of coffee, and be happy to see you. We are irritating because we have been up longer than you.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous20/9/17 23:48

    This was an interesting blog today. Rest assured that much greatness and creativity comes from madness so take no offence but take it as a compliment when people react to your sleep schedule. I am not a morning person, nor an early riser, I fact my schedule is I feel most awake and creative at around 11pm. Yet I can't give myself the hours then as real life requires me to work and awake in the morning. You however have found "your time" and you use it in constructive and for filling manners. I give you props for that. Be you. God created you ... you are a blessing to Him. You give your time to Him and show others His love. Be you!

    ReplyDelete