24 October 2017

Second Thoughts – A Council in Cavendish

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

As the evening air cools and the trees kick their leaves from the nest I find my heart drawn to the road.  When I was young I used to wrap myself in a heavy woolen cloak, collect my staff (yes, I have both), and walk the southern woodlands of my youth.  I miss those times.  I miss the smells of autumn, the occasional fires, and the discovery of places unknown.  

I also remember the times that I desired to leave all that was my life at that time and become a wander.  I had a vast vision of things I hoped I might become.  I pictured myself a modern day itinerant helper of others.  Carrying my possessions along byways and stopping to earn a small living and help others.  I loved walking back then.  I valued the journey above the destination in those days. 

Tonight, I sit alone in the council of the cold and my churchwarden of Cavendish.  The fragrant leaf calls to mind dreams of traveling with hobbits and elves and enjoying some Longbottom Leaf.  I am not sure where the ever-beaconing path is taking me these days but I will sit in my council of Cavendish looking at the stars and missing simpler days. 

Regret, loneliness, and poor choices from my past attempt to sway me from faith and hope.  Instead I will pray as I muse on the breeze-born blue vapor of failed smoke rings and imagined dragon breaths.  It is in this quiet moment of prayer and ponderance that I will find my footing to continue the path after I rest a bit.  

I can find only the next step or two along the road but will not despair that I cannot see further.  The light I carry will only allow me a step or two.  That, however, is enough to keep me from stumbling.  It is enough to keep fear from hindering my progress. 

As I pray and ponder I find no answers other than this.  The Cavendish is almost done and the chill begins to seep through my cloak.  I have no fire here to tend or company to serve.  I will turn to my evening rest still feeling the same but further determined to move on the down the road toward home.  If you find someone in need of a fellow traveler Dear Reader, please send them my way.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment