25 October 2017

The Stigma of Strangers ~ Wizard and Gardner

Greetings Dear Reader,

I often contrast the characters Gandalf and Samwise from the Lord of the Rings in my mind.  Both have such great quality of character.  They have both been examples to me of things I would like to be in my life. 

Gandalf was the constant traveler who wished to be content to be in a place like the shire.  He knew that his lot was to wander and to what he good against the evil gathering in his world.  He knew that his rest lay further up the road.  He knew that the peace of the Shire would not endure were he to simply rest there.

Samwise could have remained a gardener.  He was content to tend to the hedge, clip the grass, and care for his Gaffer.  His adventure changed him through hardship and success.  He found peace and a fellow traveler in Rosie.  He returned to his home changed but the same.

We often seen Gandalf met with distrust and dislike.  We know he is good and means well but others see him as meddlesome and trouble.  He always proves to be a boon to those who are of good character.  He is often the downfall of those who are not. 

I see some of both of these things.  I am a wanderer who does not wander and so I often feel lost in the same place.  I dream of a home and fellow traveler but as was recently said of me, “No woman is strong enough to stay with you.”  I do not know if it is true but the person was telling me that I will not find that fellow traveler. 

In truth I cannot let even that hinder my staying the road and keeping the journey.  I may never again have a “home” but that is part of the stigma of strangers.  My home lies further on and my business is getting there on the path provided me. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. We are all home in Christ and if we have faith then we always have a home. We can all feel lost when we ate just standing in one place. All the things we wish we were and all this things we wish would have happened. But we are on a safe path already known and laid before us by God. We are all things to Him and all we need to do is take another step and feel Him there and in that moment and all the next there is home.

    ReplyDelete