12 November 2017

Choosing What to Give ~ It is not the Things

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I was out and about yesterday I was at a store where Christmas shopping is in full fervor.  There were still Halloween clearance items Thanksgiving food and decorations around the fringe.  As I perused the Christmas isles I noted a few things that I wished to acquire.

It lead to me thinking about why those things found their way onto my list.  They are not for me.  These are intended gifts for others.  What is it about these mere things that brings to mind those I love?

Part of it is that I never give thoughtless gifts.  I consider the person and what I know of the needs and likes in choosing gifts for Christmas.  I want every gift to say to the receiver that I know and love him or her.  I wish it to touch more than the hands.  I wish it to touch the heart.

Too often we try to get through the gift acquiring without really considering what we are doing.  We are transferring a piece of our lives into the lives of others.  Our money comes form our work which is trading a piece of our life for money.  When we spend the money on a gift for someone we transfer that piece of our life to their possession. 

When we treat this process like a chore to be completed we are wasting a bit of our life.  We are also cheapening the life we invest in others when we do it without care.  Gifts are never just about the thing.  We send a message.  As we enter the time of giving thanks and gifts I must consider this.

When Items leap to mind I must assure that I consider my love for the person in choosing if it is given.  My gifts must come from my heart and life with a full measure of my desire so show my love and the love of him I follow.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment