22 November 2017

Plenty’s Horn ~ No Leftovers

Greetings Dear Reader,

My eldest Son, Maxim introduced me to the Avett Brothers.  I am very thankful for this.  One of the challenges of the gathering of families can be leftovers.  I do not mean the Oyster and Peanut Butter Stuffing or Aunt Matilda’s Prune and Olive pie.  I mean the leftover feelings from a lifetime of knowing each other.

Plenty’s Horn pours out unending forgiveness for us from the Father.  We harbor hard, dried out, leftover feelings for each other and try to serve them up when we gather.  We do not consider that we are poisoning everyone to whom we serve them. 

We can have soft feelings.  We can forgive and create a safe space for the time together.  It may take courage.  It may take effort.  It is always worth it to show love and forgiveness to our family.  It is never a wasted meal to dine on humility.

As I turn my heart toward thankfulness and giving I must serve up generous portions of kindness and patience.  It is an opportunity to give forgiveness even if I am the only one who knows it.  The food is secondary to the love and care.  Plenty of leftovers will be there.  I must not serve them.   

No Hard Feelings – The Avett Brothers

When my body won't hold me anymore
And it finally lets me free
Will I be ready?
When my feet won't walk another mile?
And my lips give their last kiss goodbye?
Will my hands be steady when I lay down my fears, my hopes, and my doubts?
The rings on my fingers, and the keys to my house
With no hard feelings?

When the sun hangs low in the west
And the light in my chest won't be kept held at bay any longer
When the jealousy fades away
And it's ash and dust for cash and lust
And it's just hallelujah
And love in thoughts and love in the words
Love in the songs they sing in the church
And no hard feelings
Lord knows they haven't done much good for anyone
Kept me afraid and cold
With so much to have and hold
Mmm, hmm

When my body won't hold me anymore
And it finally lets me free
Where will I go?
Will the trade winds take me south through Georgia grain?
Or tropical rain?
Or snow from the heavens?
Will I join with the ocean blue?
Or run into a savior true?
And shake hands laughing
And walk through the night, straight to the light
Holding the love I've known in my life
And no hard feelings

Lord knows they haven't done much good for anyone
Kept me afraid and cold
With so much to have and hold

Under the curving sky
I'm finally learning why
It matters for me and you
To say it and mean it too
For life and it's loveliness
And all of its ugliness
Good as it's been to me
I have no enemies
I have no enemies
I have no enemies
I have no enemies

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of the Avett Brothers I will look up their song later. However just the lyrics you posted are deep. And as you rote, I related. Yes we do hold on to thoes left overs and sometimes we think we have forgiven or not harboured over them, one more thing happens and we go back to all types left over feelings and they build a stench in our hearts. I get the phrase *the straw that broke the camel's back* I've felt it many of times, just that "one thing." But what forgiveness and love in Christ gives us, is more camels to carry the load. Be thankful for that and give way to bygones.
    I am thankful for all God has provided me. Friends, family food, warmth, and his love

    ReplyDelete