10 December 2017

The Promises of Christmas ~ Santa

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

I know that there is discussion among my fellow travelers about the entire idea of Santa Clause and his place in the Christmas story.  The fact is that he is there and I must deal with him properly.  The truth is that like all legends there is some truth in the telling.

I have an advantage.  I see the value of Santa in the Christmas story.  I understand his place in the narrative and that it can be used for good.  I have another advantage.  Little children often think I am Santa.  I admit that I contribute to this by the way I dress during the Christmas season. 

There are promises in the Santa story.  The original ones are those of a good man who loved God and wanted to give to the needs and dreams of children.  He is an excellent example of what we can become if we choose to follow Christ. 

As for the modern Santa story, there are promises there as well.  I wish there were that much “magic” in the world.  I wish that we all had enough faith to keep believing in the possibility.  I realize I sound a little “Hallmark” but I am a man of faith.  I do believe in the things we cannot see.

The modern promise of Santa is that we must hope and believe and if we believe in the right things we will not be disappointed.  It is humans that have turned Santa into something commercial and fantastic.  The promise is that there is something to believe in and long a ago a man cared enough about it to change things. 

I would give up much to be able to give gifts to every child on Christmas.  That hope and promise is beyond my reach but it is work believing in.  So, I do a little to help the magic along.  I do what I can to spread the kindness, joy, and spirit of the season.  I respond with kindness to the wonder of children.  There is magic there if we will only see it.  There are promises Santa has yet to keep.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment