14 December 2017

The Promises of Christmas ~ Veterans

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

One of my Christmas habits is that I do not pass a Salvation Army Red Kettle without putting something in it.  At the grocery store where I shop regularly there has been a very old gentleman ringing the bell for the last three Wednesdays.  He wears a U.S. Marine Corps hat that is in good shape but quite old.

Each time I pass his kettle I drop in my donation and say, “Merry Christmas Marine.  Thank you for helping the ‘army’”.  The first two times he has laughed and returned my wish for a merry Christmas.

Yesterday he put a still strong hand on my arm to stop me from continuing on my way.  I looked up and saw tears in his eyes.  He said, “Three time now you have addressed me as ‘Marine’.  No one has done that for thirty years.  The thing I have done best in my life is to be a Marine.  I was one for twenty years.  I lost a lot of friends.  I miss being called that.  Thank you.”

We chatted a bit more and I thanked him for all he did to protect and serve our nation.  I thanked him for serving the Salvation Army.  As I walked away he called out cheerfully, “Don’t tell the other leather necks.  They would never forgive me.”

The promise of Christmas is that some day good men and women will not have to put their lives in harm’s way because of the foolishness of other men and women.  I long for the day when this is true.  Until then I want to make sure that every veteran knows how much love and respect I have for the time they gave.  I know that my freedom to celebrate comes from their efforts.

Merry Christmas to all of you veterans.  Thank you for your gift.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment