31 December 2017

Winter Transitions ~ Closing of the Year

Greetings Dear Reader,

It is cold.  I am sipping my last cup of coffee for the year.  I have closed out many of the things that need closing.  I am not a party person.  My New Year’s Eves of late have been spent quietly watching the year drift in and then retiring to a long winter’s nap.

The year has not unfolded at all as I expected.  I am not sure how the coming year will unfold at all.   I am at peace with all of that. 

As I close this year I recount some losses that have grieved me.  Tonight, I will lift a glass to absent friends with the hope that their journey goes on walking a much brighter path.  I feel their absence and do not wish them back but wish I could see them.

I have improved in some things that I wished to do.  I am closer to some of my family and this is precious to me.  I have had more time with my Grandsons and that is a treasure.  Watching them grow is a beautiful experience. 

The sand has slipped through the pinch.  New experiences have marked some of the days.  There has been almost enough baseball to satisfy me.  I feel a little older.  Since the end of my year is not far past the end of the actual year I mark it well. 

As I write this I have my real hour glass sitting before me.  I can see all of the sand but I am focusing on the grains in the pinch.  It is hard to do so.  It takes discipline.  That, however, is how we are supposed to live; aware of the past, an eye on the future, but focused on the moment.  I have been trying to hone this over the last few months.  If one works at it one can do it.  Like all thing that matter, however, it takes discipline.

Thank you for your company this year Dear Reader.  As the New Year unfolds I will begin by looking at the difference between being led and being driven whilst still following.  Your companionship is most precious.  I hope we have many more discussions along the path next year.  The journey draws us ever onward.  Happy New Year Dear Reader.

Closing of the Year – Wendy and Lisa

If I cannot bring you comfort
Then at least I bring you hope
For nothing is more precious
Than the time we have, and so

We all must learn from small misfortunes
Count the blessings that are real
Let the Bells ring out for Christmas
At the closing of the year

Let the Bells Ring out for Christmas
At the closing of the year

Up on the knees of a Sergeant Major
Ride through the woods with the wind in your hair
Silver bells on a golden reindeer
As they race to the castle over there

If I cannot bring you comfort then at least I bring you hope

Now all the winter bells are ringing
Hear them echo through the snow
And the children’s' voices singing
On the streets so far below

This is a time to be together
And the truth is somewhere here
Within our love of people
At the closing of the year

We'll walk in the sun
With all of the faith
And all of the Patience
All of the way
With all of us right
And all of us saying
"No one an island"
We'll fly in the arms of time
Walk in the waves, never fall
Don't fall...

At the closing of the year...
At the closing of the year!
If I cannot bring you comfort, then at least I bring you hope
Then at least I bring you hope...

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment