16 January 2018

Anti-Social Media ~ Anonymous Assaults

Greetings Dear Reader,

There is something fundamentally wrong about hurling insults at someone from the cover of anonymity.  I will occasionally receive anonymous comments on this blog that attack my faith, writing, or me.  I read them and consider whether there is truth in them.  I do not, however, allow vitriol or attacks on my page.

It is too easy to snipe from hiding on social media.  It never does anything but harm.  It is one of the great ills that comes of the ease of communication.  We can create a persona that is hidden and free to spread any rancor it wishes.  One can say horrid things without accountability or fear of reprisal.

Even when we think we are correct in our view we must not be unkind and harsh.   The venom of such attacks does no good and can do a great deal of harm.  One of the reasons that I do not allow negative posts on this page is that I do not want to be a part of spreading the negativity.

Since I am required to love everyone, tolerating this behaviour is an untenable position.  If I need to disagree with someone publicly then I must do so with kindness and respect. I must never resort to insults or attacks.  All that I say must be filtered through grace and love. 

This then allows few occasions for me to say anything other than the things that are good.  If I have good things to say then I can do so with openness and integrity.  I realize that this begs the question of my use of a nom-de-plume.  I choose this because I do not seek fame.  It is simple enough to work out who I am (that is not a challenge).  It is not anonymity but an attempt to live in humility.

Still, Dear Reader, we must never resort to insults and attacks to make our point.  It is futile and useless.  Let me know if I fail in my resolve to never do this.  I promise not to attack you if you do so.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment