30 January 2018

Say Something ~ Children

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the things that stands out that should not is when children are polite.  It used to be that children were taught to be polite.  They were not allowed be rude, rush around in shops, and generate mayhem.  I apologize if this sounds too old-fashioned for you but these things matter.

When children are polite to me in public I always thank them for being polite.  I almost always seek out their parents and thank them as well.  I tell them that I do not often encounter this and how grateful I am for it. 

I do not think we need to return to the attitudes and insincerity of Victorian “polite society”.  I do feel that we need to be much politer than we are.  We see it in children and admire it.  We could benefit from a society where common courtesy was much more common. 

Just as I am surprised by the politeness of children I have noticed that people are surprised when I am polite to them.  Saying please, thank you, and being polite should be common.  If I hope to represent Christ then I must involve this very simple practice at all times.  If I want children to be polite I must set the example.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous31/1/18 23:02

    I'm glad you've actually brought this to attention. Today's society has looked over politeness and common curtisy. When I was young and I asked for something, my grandmother would always ask "what's the magic word?"
    The magic word being "please"
    My grandmother came from a different time and era yet It is so true that there is so much to heed from out elders yet the acceptable standard is to rebel. How is it that we as new generations walked so far away from just using our manners? It should not be shocking when a child says please and thank you... in fact we should be shocked then they don't. As children of God we ask Him for blessings and we thank him for our gifts. Why is this now the only times we practice this politeness ... in all things we must filter through Him alone. Treat all with the same love and mercy, the same kindness and the same ... well I can go on and on, but I believe I've made my point. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete