16 February 2018

Café Comments ~ Single Serving Friendships

Greetings Dear Reader,

One encounters “strangers” every day at the café.   People come for breakfast or they are in and out to get their morning coffee on the way to whatever is next.  This allows one great opportunity for single serving friendships.

I will encounter people that I may never encounter again.  It is my one opportunity to inject kindness into that life.  It is my chance to show love and respect to a human that may or may not need it in that moment.  I do not think anyone complains when you are kind to them in the moment.

The idea is that in this space our paths are going to collide.  We are going to reach for the cream at the same time.  We are going to be in each other’s way when refilling coffee.  I must be the one who backs away politely.  I must be the one who gives a genuine smile and allows the other to meet their need of the moment. 

It fills my heart with joy to see someone else smile just because you did this.  It reminds me that my agenda or purpose of the moment can almost always take a back seat to the opportunity to be a friend in that instant.  This fosters the peaceful spirit of this particular café. 

After months of this behaviour many of those single serving friendships have gotten refills.  People who do not know my name wave at me when they rush in for their coffee.  They smile and there is another moment of positive human connection in the world.

Everything about following Christ is based on showing love to others.  If I want to evidence this in my life then I must focus on those moments that are insignificant to me but may make a difference in the lives of others.  Further I must extend that to moments where I put aside my convenience for the good of someone I do not know just so that I can show them love and kindness.  If I choose this, I will never run out of refills for those single serving friendships.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment