14 February 2018

Café Comments ~ Thelma and Louise

Greetings Dear Reader,

When one owns a small business, one depends heavily on the face of that business.  At the café the management is a duo the Crema Council refers to as Thelma and Louise.  If you do not get the reference you may wish to watch the movie of the same title.   To my knowledge neither of these excellent women is guilty of any crimes.  The reference, however, is fitting.

I always sit where I can watch these two interact with the customers and staff.  They are funny, intelligent, and creative.  They treat everyone at the counter with kindness and respect.  They nurture their staff as if they were younger siblings (at least one of them is).  They are both teachable and daily hone their craft.

Each of them is so much more than what they do.  Each of them has the potential for greatness yet they also give their very best to this coffee harbor whilst waiting to set sail on some greater venture.  Whether it is the Brotherhood of Baleful Brewers of the Bitter Black Bean or the Crema Council the regular groups are greeted with great cheer.  Strangers are politely assisted to navigate the menu.  Everyone is given a fair shot at being decent and kind.

I have also watched them both handle rude patrons with grace and patience.  They do not let anything escalate.  Instead, they use gentleness to cool the situation and infuse some goodness into the impatient customer.  I suspect that no matter what the person orders they get decaf.  

Thelma and Louise are the engine that makes the place run well.  It is not just their skill at managing the café.  It is their spirit; their heart.  It is the bond they share as friends.  I knew them both before our encounters here.  One I knew well.  The other in a single encounter.  Both earned my love and respect long before I ever entered the café. 

I must remember that managing the chaos is mostly attitude.  How I set my sails will determine my direction.  Their example gives me great hope.  Their work works to encourage me to be a better man. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous15/2/18 01:18

    I'm really enjoying reading about this cafe and your time there. The councils the staff your experience and interactions with others. It's real and down to earth. I haven't really seen you share like this before. I'm enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete