10 March 2018

Incantations and Secret Rituals ~ Orthodoxy


Greetings Dear Reader,

Orthodoxy is not wrong.  There is something sublime about that kind of ritual.  I have been in the midst of ten thousand voices all intoning the Apostles’ Creed.  I have been a part of those same voices singing great hymns of the faith. 

I used that venue to heal during one of my greatest time of pain.  The ritual of the communal service allowed me to be part of something and to remain anonymous all at once.  It gave a needed sense of belonging when I was solitary and alone.  I could join the river of faith that is the liturgical service and wash my spirit in its flow.  It is not the right long-term fit for me but orthodoxy is not wrong.

Dead orthodoxy, however, is dangerous.  Being a part of an inherited practice that is devoid of living faith is a sure way to kill participation in the practice.  I have been in that same crowd of thousands where I saw teenagers forced to participate in the liturgy when they did not see its purpose or even worse, share in the faith of it. 

I have seen a woman refuse to eat meat on a Friday during Lent whilst running down the character of her neighbor to her husband between bites.  The practice of orthodoxy without the love of Christ is devoid of value.  Worse it may be a very subtle evil.

The rituals of orthodoxy without faith are empty gestures. As I recite the words to liturgy I do it with my heart and faith.  When it is done without these it as rote as the ABC song.  It is empty and devoid of the life that it is intended to sustain. 

I can recite and ritualize but I must never mouth empty words without faith.  I must engage my spirit in the common union, communion of the moment.  I must follow in faith even when I am joining in the rituals that have value.  “Whatever is not done in faith is sin.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



No comments:

Post a Comment