14 March 2018

Stephen Hawking ~ A Loss All Around


Greetings Dear Reader,

On Pi Day of 2018 we have lost one of the brilliant minds of our time.  His work to understand and explain the cosmos has given us much to value and discuss.  Most of his conclusions followed a path of reason and logic that gave us confidence in his explanations of the cosmos.  I often feel dumb when I read his books and have to re-read some passages to keep up with him.

I am saddened at his loss and further saddened that there will be those who follow my faith who use is passing to take shots at him.  He made it clear that he did not believe in God:  “We are each free to believe what we want, and it’s my view that the simplest explanation is; there is no god. No one created our universe, and no one directs our fate.”

If you have read even a little of what I write you know that I both respect science and believe in God.  I do not want to indulge in attacks on Mr. Hawking.  What I do wish to do is celebrate a mind that asked us to think of the universe more deeply.  As Christ followers we should read his books and wrestle with his thoughts.  I know that they cause me to wonder more deeply at the amazing nature of creation. 

I know that there is a place where true science and my faith meet in harmony.  One need not believe in God for the Father to gift one with great powers of the mind and discovery.  I will not throw away truth for any reason.  I will also not throw away reason.  My faith is reasonable and I must continue to learn so that I can perhaps see where honest research can reveal God more clearly.  God does require faith.

The mind of Stephen Hawking was a gift to all of us.  He challenged us to look deeper into the cosmos and see its wonders.  He elevated us to a new level of understanding and gave us a path to pursue that will expand for decades to come.  He focused on the final frontier and challenged us all to explore it further.

I will miss the learning I did from Mr. Hawking.  I will also continue to respect science whilst holding onto my faith.  Since one cannot prove that there is no God, to say that one believes there is not one is an act of faith.  I agree that one is free to believe what one wishes.  I choose to believe and continue to look for an honest way to harmonize that with all things.  Farewell Stephen Hawking.  You will be missed.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous15/3/18 04:24

    I love how you said that, that there is a place for great science and faith to meet together in harmoney. It is a beautiful thing and a tragic loss of a great mind in this era.

    ReplyDelete