12 March 2018

Times They are A ‘Changing


Greetings Dear Reader,

I have many friends who struggle with the loss of an hour of sleep and are feeling that pain this Monday morning.  I have always been someone who needs little sleep and who rises early.  It does not really impact me. 

This means that I get to be more compassionate for those who do suffer from this event.  My dear friend Heather is begging for buckets of espresso.  My Daughter will struggle with the adjustment for days.   Mothers of young children will be awakened early for weeks. 

There is humor to be had.  There are memes all over social media.  There will be stories of being late for brunch or church or work.  There is humor to be found in the difficulties as we are subjected to a practice that seems archaic or useless. 

The history of the event is not well known and there are false things that are assumed true.  Benjamin Franklin did not invent it.  He did propose getting up earlier and going to bed earlier during certain times of the year.  It was not done to aid farmers.  Cows do not know that they need to be milked an hour earlier.  The corn does not care what time you plant it. Many countries have tried to do away with it but abandoned the idea.  The state of Arizona refuses to play.  It is "Daylight Saving Time" not Daylight Savings Time".

No one has risen up to lead the charge to change the change.  I enjoy the daylight lasting longer in the summer evenings.  It fits with the romance I remember of baseball and peaches as a youth.  It reminds me of drifting along Georgia roads in my first Volkswagen with my friends. 

It also reminds me of how little I control in my world.  I can only control my responses.  I can only control how I act.  As with all things I must ride the wave and seek to be good to my fellow humans.  I must be a little more patient whilst others adjust.  I must be grateful that it is easy for me.  Oh, and I must remember how to change the clock in my car. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment