18 April 2018

Second Thoughts ~ I Don’t Like Happy Endings


Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you, Dear Reader.

When I was watching my Grandsons this past week the eldest (7) was reading a book and made this observation: “Grandpa, I don’t like happy endings.  I mean that I want people to be OK and be happy, but things do not always turn our all happy.  It is just not real.”

I pursued this conversation and what he was getting at is that there is always some sorrow or loss in the world.  He does not require everything to be real but he wants honesty in his fantasy.  This filled me with both sorrow and joy.

The sorrow is that at seven he has moved past the innocence that everyone can “live happily ever after.”  We all reach this point but it sorrows me when children do so.  I want the world to be a place where that is still a possibility.

The joy is that the realization refined his view of how things unfold in an honest way.  Things will not always unfold as we wish then to unfold.  The world is not good and it is our job to help make it better.  We had a great conversation about how we are supposed to make the world better with our lives.

It was in this that I thought about my own writing.  I want to make the world a better place.  I want to create stories that end happily.  I also know that there will be pain and loss along the way.  The journey is filled with danger, sorrow, and loss.  It is also filled with hope, joy, and peace when we allow it.  I am please that my beloved Grandson reminded me of this.

We also spoke of his theory of time travel and its impact on world history.  He has the beginning of a good theory.  He promised me that if he finds a way to time travel that he will take me on an adventure.  Even in this I see that potential for many stories.  They may not all end happily but they will all have hope. 

In following Christ, I must remember that at the very end, in the last story of the series, things will end well.  For now, there may be sorrow and strife.  Eventually, however, things will get back to good.  That is the story I want to see unfold.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment