22 May 2018

Gratitude ~ Love


Greetings Dear Reader,

I am not going to talk about romantic love.  I am no longer sure I get that.  I know that it is not the primary meaning of love and needs to take a back seat to the more intentional kinds of love.  I will return to that thought in a moment.

I am grateful for the much rarer and more coveted love that transacts between two humans when both put aside their own wants.  It is the love that transcends race, social status, and nationality.  It crushes barriers and tears down isolation. 

Genuine love souses the fires of anger.  It can quell the need for vengeance.  It can show the way to hope and faith.  It is, I believe the most powerful force in the universe.  We, however, fail to harness it. 

At times I get to show that love and I am grateful for it.  It is not always easy.  It is always right.  It almost always costs me something but it is worth it.  I am grateful for the hard deck that it provides.  If I measure all things by this thing then events will unfold as they should.

It is in this stance that we can consider the aforementioned romantic love a possibility.  Romantic love cannot be sustained without a foundation of human love.  It takes too much energy and ends up being one-way eventually.  Marriages die because the human love is not put first.  It is not the hard deck.

Beyond all of this is the idea of loving and accepting the love of God.  He loves us, full stop.  You do not have to believe it or believe in God.  He loves you anyway.  He loves us at our very worst and gives us every opportunity to be better.  It is the power to find peace in our pain if we allow it. 

I am grateful for the kind of love that demands that we love every single human no matter our opinion of their faith or practice.  It does, however, have to be a verb to work.  I am grateful that love requires action to be evident. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment