13 May 2018

Gratitude ~ Mothers


Greetings Dear Reader,

From the outset, gratitude is necessary because no one would be here without his or her mother.  I will share a memory of my mum that has influenced my entire life.  Every time I think of it there is a smile in my heart. 

I was six.  It was not quite fall weather in Georgia but the summer heat had broken.  I was suffering under the vengeful tutelage of Mrs. Mars who was also Methuselah’s grade one teacher.  I was unhappy about school and still finding my way in other things that six-year-old boys should not have to navigate.

It was a Thursday.  Mum sent me to bed early saying that I looked tired.  I knew better than to argue.  Surprisingly I fell asleep. 

It was deeply dark when my mum quietly awakened me.  She led me into the living room where there was popcorn and lemonade.  The small black and white TV we had was on and the credits for some show I do not remember were rolling.

Then a few ads rolled by and it began.  The screen went dark, a single note pinged, then another.  And the words that would change my thinking on so many things reached my ears for the first time.  “Space, the final frontier: these are the voyages of the Star Ship Enterprise.  Her five-year mission to seek out new life, new civilization, to boldly go where no man has gone before.”

My mum thought I would like Star Trek and she was right.  Even at six I grasped the beauty and depth of the show.  I have been a fan for my entire life and used it to reach out to others in need of community.

I feel great gratitude for my mum making the time to invest that weekly hour in my nurture every week.  It has made a vast difference in who I am.  It has taught me much that extends to all of life.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

No comments:

Post a Comment