08 May 2018

Gratitude ~ Single Serving Kindness


Greetings Dear Reader,

Single serving friendships are those encounters with service personnel or fellow travelers that are likely to be a one-time occurrence.  These over-the-counter encounters are opportunities to be kind to strangers.  I try to always treat these encounters as if I have reunited with a valued comrade.

I find it delightful when I enter this moment with someone of similar spirit.  This is exactly what occurred yesterday and I am very grateful.  I had to go to a local service clinic for a screening related to potential employment.  It is a walk-in procedure requiring neither and appointment nor advanced notice.

I have used this clinic before for drug testing required by my former employer.  The staff there is good but they seem very busy always.  When I arrived yesterday there easily were twenty people already waiting.  I signed in and found a comfortable place to sit and await my turn.

When my name was called I was greeted by Sue.  Her engaging smile immediately let me know that I would receive the kind of care I would want to give.  She made it clear from the first sentence she spoke that her goal was to treat me well.

When she showed me to my room for the procedure she took time to give me water.  She engaged in real conversation with me and showed genuine interest in me as a person.  Given the pace that she has to work this is a beautiful thing.

Even after I was finished she made time to show me out.  Her entire encounter with me was a single serving friendship I will cherish.  I am grateful for Sue and the moments of joy she infused into my life.  It reminds me what I must strive to always be and encouraged me to do it better.  It took me into the rest of my day determined to be kind, have grace, and show mercy.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment