05 May 2018

Second Thoughts ~ Avengers Infinity War


Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you, Dear Reader.

NO SPOILERS YET

I successfully avoided spoilers when I was forced to wait a week to see the Avengers new movie.  My brother did offer that I would love Peter Dinklage in his role.  I will say no more than that prior to a spoiler alert.

What I will say is that this was an excellent film.  It is also long, so go easy on the 64 OZ Coke.  You may wish to make sure you have snacks if you drama-eat.  I would also choose a comfortable theatre.  The movie keeps building to the very end.

There is humor, tension, shock, and sadness.  It is a well told story filled with all of the right questions about what we value and why.  I would also recommend seeing it with someone.  You will have things to discuss afterward.  Please take care not to spoil it for anyone else.

SPOILERS FOLLOW:  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

I find that the premise of this film raises many spiritual questions.  Given the vastness of the Marvel Universe there seems to be a question for me that is loudly begged.  Captain Rogers believes in the same God that I do as evidenced in the first Avengers movie.  That God, the God, is, however, left out of the story here.  Or is he?  

It seems to me that the ability of Thanos to destroy half of all lives in the universe is just a broader example of God allowing free will to play itself out.  In the end he snaps his fingers and kills half of all life.  There is even a web site (www.didthanoskill.me ) that will tell you if you were spared or killed.  For the record I survived.

If all sentient beings have free will and are subject to the nature of sin then it reasons that beings of great power would do evil on a cosmic scale.  It saddens but does not surprise me.  Ultimately, we are subject to the sovereignty of God.  We are free to do evil or good.  We all will face the same God that will judge us not on our deeds but our faith.

This story brings to light the potential of evil to prevail even in the presence of great good.  What it reminds me of is that ultimately good will win.  It does seem in Infinity War and in my world that good has lost for now but not, well, for good.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment