21 May 2018

Second Thoughts ~ Centipedes

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you, Dear Reader.

For the unfamiliar there is a creature called the American House Centipede.  Back when I hated them I called them “demon bugs”.  Since learning that they are very beneficial I call them “alien bugs”.  They are still one of those creatures that evoke a visceral response for me.

They look very similar to one of the creatures that has haunted my dreamscape since I was a child.  The ones in my dreams, however, have always been monstrously sized.  My aversion to them is one of those responses that makes the blood cold and the heart race. 

I have learned to respect them but I still fear them.  I just do not let the fear be in charge.  I have not seen one in over two years until today.  I was preparing lunch in my small kitchen.  On the counter, by the toaster-oven there he sat. 

He was not moving.  That is no big deal.  I have seen them be very still, then seem to disappear only to reappear a meter from where I spotted them. They are stealthy and fast.  I grabbed a cup and approached determined to relocate him were he alive. 

As I got close enough to capture him I was shocked.  It was not a centipede at all.  There on the counter by the toaster-oven lay one of my Daughter’s fake eyelashes.  I will not pretend to know how it got there.  I took a picture and left it for her to find when she visits. 

I try to embrace the unique beauty of all creation.  Some things still frighten me.  It is refusing the let the fear be in charge that is my obligation.  I do think, however, that it is not a good idea to have free-range eyelashes roaming the kitchen.   

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


No comments:

Post a Comment