16 June 2018

Bat Dog and Other Considerations


Greetings Dear Reader,

Even if you do not like baseball, stay with me Dear Reader.  There is something here for you. I promise.

Last night I was privileged to host my friends Jeff and Ruby at a Mallards baseball game.  This is a summer league for college students who have a real shot at playing professional baseball.  It may be some of the best baseball out there.  One can read about this kind of league in The Last Best League by Jim Collins. 

Even though my Mallards lost I got to spend a pure baseball evening with friends.  True to tradition the play was good, there were entertaining asides, and the food was excellent.  It was a humid summer evening that reminded me of Braves games as a youth with my Grandfather.  The breeze that had all of the flags standing to did not reach down into the seats to offer any release from the cloying damp air.  One might better understand the torpor that besieges Southerners in summer.

One of the entertainments for the night was a dog that retrieved the bats for the Mallards after each hit (video by Jeff).  As soon as play halted he would rush out, grab the back like a stick, and run it back to the dugout.  It made me wonder what he would do should the bat be broken.  We speculated that it might be a two-trip deal.  We also pondered how it made the batter feel when he would fly out and people were applauding the dog as the batter made his way to the dugout.

As the game drew to a close the wind shifted in a way that I recall often from my youth.  A refreshing cool breeze turned the flags to flying in the opposite direction.  To the puerile this may have seemed like a boon.  It was a lulling portent to the experienced.  Before the first distant flash of lightning, I knew that heavy rain was on its way. 

The gamed ended and my friends wisely made their way to the parking lot.  The walk to my car was quite a way.  Still I observed a tradition that I have after every baseball game that I attend.  For the first time, however, I revealed this sacred moment to someone.  I explained to my friend Jeff that I was going to spend a minute with my Grandfather before departing.

I took a moment as the impending storm built to pray and thank the Father for my Grandfather and the influence he has in my life.  As I mentioned earlier this week, he would have turned 108 on the 12th.   His love of God and baseball turned those shared experiences at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium into sacred times for me when I was a boy. 

We would often have to hurry to the car as a summer thunderstorm approached after a game.  Back then the Braves usually lost.  The conjunction of the humidity, the storm, the loss, and the time with friends last night made the moment echo those boyhood memories in a special way.

It reminded me that any space is sacred when the heart is turned to gratitude and love.  It put me in mind that those summer nights long ago spent in section 101, row 1, seats 1 and 2 with my Grandfather was one of the best classrooms I ever visited.  Last night in section 107, row 6, seats 1 through 4 I experienced a sacred time with good friends.

The conversation afterwards with the Father and my Grandfather was all about gratitude and love.  Both the past and the present baseball moments were things for which I am grateful.  The essence of it all reminds that the joy in the journey is found by seeing the sacred part of every moment whether it be friends, bat dog, or the weather.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the evening and your memories with us. I was reminded of a much cooler summer evening many years back when we were visiting friends in Maine. We attended a community band concert at a park overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. I was struck at the time that I was witnessing a slice of Americana in its purest form. I had the same sense last night.

    ReplyDelete