18 June 2018

Say Something ~ Kind Words


Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the mysteries of following Christ is that we do not know the outcome of all we do until the end of all we do.  We are supposed to do good things in secret.  We are not supposed to look for reward or recognition.  Our purpose and motivations are to be external and pure.  Not knowing the outcome can aid in this if we allow it.

This preamble is a lead-in to the understanding of how much impact kind words can have.  If I make the effort to be kind knowing that I will not know the outcome, I can more freely offer kindness without being concerned about myself.

One of the areas where this is a dire need in our culture is the simple offering of kind words.  When we say something kind and unexpected we rarely know what difference it will really make.  Sometimes, however, we get a glimpse.

Recently I went into a diner that I visit infrequently but enjoy.  My server was the same young lady who waited on me four months ago.  When she saw me at the door she immediately came up to me and showed me to a table in her section.  Before I could get out a proper greeting she teared up and started talking.

“I have been hoping you would come back.  What you said to me last time you were here has changed everything.  I am in school.  I am working toward my dream job and I am so much more hopeful than when we met in January.”

She went on to explain that when I visited the diner in January she was about to leave the city and move to what would have turned out to be a bad situation.  The people she was planning to live with had all gotten into serious trouble.  Since business was slow, we talked about her future for the next hour as I enjoyed my breakfast.

It took some time to remember what I had said to her on my first visit with her.  I remembered eventually that I was impressed with her vocabulary and complimented her on it.  She was articulate and intelligent.  We had a great conversation about words and their use.  I mentioned that her voice was also one that was easy to listen to. 

What I did not know was that she had always wanted to work in radio.  She had an opportunity to get a scholarship in that field but was not confident enough to take it.  Apparently, our short conversation tipped the balance.

I could only be a part of this good thing because I try to always find something kind and genuine to say to someone.  Doing this makes an impact whether I ever see it or not.  It leaves behind seeds of hope that I may never see bloom.  In this instance I was blessed to see the outcome of my practice. 

We are supposed to encourage and build up each other.  We are designed to be kind.  Our words have so much more power than we realize.  I must be kind whenever possible.  I must also be kind whenever it seems impossible.  The reward is in the act.  Say something kind Dear Reader.  It will make a difference.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment