29 June 2018

The Music Makes Me ~ The Lost Verse


Greetings Dear Reader,

I think we all know that songs tell stories.  When someone writes a song, they have something to say.  They want to take this on a journey through a tale.  The completeness of the journey is determined by the writer with every verse he or she pens.  Often, for the purpose of time verses are left out of songs.  Sometimes the intent is to covey certain themes in the song or to enhance a visual in a movie. 

When we leave out verses, we leave out part of the story.  We would not remove a part of a painting or take a chapter out of a book and believe that we had the entire intent of the creator.  A great example of this is the song Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen.  The full version live in London has all the verses.  Below is the album version.

It is vital to get the entire meaning of the song that the last two versus are included.  It makes all the difference in whether the song has hope or despair.  We cannot expect the popular versions by groups like Pentatonix to convey the entire message of the song.  Do not get me wrong; these cover versions are all excellent and serve a purpose.  They do not, however, conveyed the same message.

It is vital in my opinion that we understand the intent of the creator each song we listen to and that we see the entire picture.  This is one of the reasons that I’m very careful which songs I put in my brain. There have been many instances where I have learned at a later date that the version of the song the I love is not the original.   I seek out the original so that I know who the meaning of the song and the intent of the artist. 

Since music is so very powerful, I must be circumspect in my listening, understanding, and referencing songs.  Music should challenge our minds to understand the message the artist is transmitting.  It takes effort but is always worth it.  I am accountable for what I take in and what it does to me.

Halleluiah by Leonard: luiah – Leonard Cohen – Original version from the album Various Positions

I’ve heard there was a secret chord
that David played, and it pleased the Lord,
but you don’t really care for music, do you?
It goes like this: the fourth, the fifth
the minor fall, the major lift;
the baffled king composing Hallelujah!
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof.
You saw her bathing on the roof;
her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you.
She tied you to a kitchen chair
she broke your throne, and she cut your hair,
and from your lips she drew the Hallelujah!
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the Name in vain;
I don’t even know the name.
But if I did, well, really, what’s it to you?
There’s a blaze of light in every word;
it doesn’t matter which you heard,
the holy, or the broken Hallelujah!
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best; it wasn’t much.
I couldn’t feel, so I tried to touch.
I’ve told the truth, I didn’t come to fool you.
And even though it all went wrong,
I’ll stand before the Lord of Song
with nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah!
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment