27 June 2018

The Music Makes Me ~ Where are We Going


Greetings Dear Reader,

Music transports us.  It takes us places.  The combination of music and lyrics touches us deeply and pushes us down a path.   It seeps into the fiber and sinew of the spirit to reveal how we really are inside.

Some people respond to this by saying this or that kind of music is bad.  They use moral arguments to say the music style is evil on its own.  That is just not true.  What the music says does reveal a great deal about its creator and those who listen to it.  That is not cause for judgment.  It is cause for discernment.

With every song I ask a simple question.  I ponder “Where are you trying to take me?”  I ask about the emotion, purpose, and world view of the song.  I seek to understand the artist’s world view as well.  The list of artists that I embrace their entire catalog of songs can be counted on one hand.

The responsibility is always mine.  Since music is so powerful I must be accountable for what I ingest.   It is not like having one too many drinks where the effects pass after a bit.  Music stays in us.  It impacts or infects us, drawing out the things that we hide and avoid.  It can harm or heal depending on the destination of the song. 

I must filter what I let in so that I am careful what parts of my nature I feed.  It required of following Christ that I monitor this with great vigilance.  When I ask the question, “Where are you taking me?”, I must insure that I ask and answer, “Do I want to go there?”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment