13 June 2018

The Zen of 0 ~ Commitment


Greetings Dear Reader,

It seems that this word, “commitment” edges daily toward being a word to avoid.  Our society seems to think that when we make a commitment we are not bound by it.  Further, it seems that asking for one is unjust. 

I am not just talking about marriage and relationships here.  I am talking about the common transactions of communication involving “will you” questions and “I will” responses.  We make commitments like this all the time.  We also break them at will. 

It goes to our integrity and our will.  It gets at the vital trust necessary to interact peacefully as humans.  Our responsibility is to be able to be trusted.  Our word needs to be enough.  A “yes” needs to be understood as a commitment.  We need to do what we say we are going to do when we say we are going to do it.

When I say “yes” I ask for trust from another person.  If I do not keep my commitment I have violated that trust.  It is not simple or unimportant.  It is a violation.   It is a failure on my part if I do not keep my commitments.  I have failed at this and learned how important it is to keep a zero-sum balance on my word.

If we say we will do something we should do it.  Our ability to have joy in the journey is limited by carrying the weight of unfulfilled promises.  It is our own integrity that suffers and this wounds us whether we see it or not.  We suffer when we do not keep our word.

The Zen of zero is achieved by only committing to those things we will do and doing them.  It is important that I do what I say.  After all, we do what we believe; everything else is just talk, and sometimes lies.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment