14 June 2018

The Zen of 0 ~ Expectations


Greetings Dear Reader,

This is the crux of the entire endeavor.  This is the fire we light in the crucible.  So many of our difficulties with other humans lie in our expectations.  Before I dive too deeply into this I want to draw a line.

There is a difference between placing and expectation upon someone and in expecting someone to fulfill an obligation.  The former is what I want to address here.  The latter is a matter of course in honest congress between humans.  If you say, “I will be there at six for dinner,” it is just for me to expect you to be there at six for dinner.  This falls under the simple understanding of “do what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it.”

It is the expectations that we place on others without their agreement or even inclusion that cause us heartache that is ours alone.  I dated a girl for about fifteen minutes who expected me to know how often to call her and how long to stay on the phone without us ever discussing it.  This was before we all had instant access to each other via mobile phones. 

She believed that I should call her every evening after dinner and talk on the phone for at least half an hour.  I did this by accident for three days.  The fourth day I was out with some friends.  My sister reported that the young lady had called eight times wanting to know when I would be home.  We had never discussed how often we would talk.  When we did talk that night, I received a barrage of accusations and epithets that made it clear I was dealing with a difficult individual. 

Her own manufactured expectations led to false disappointment and anger.  This is what we do to each other.  I know that I do it and I must not.  We do the same thing in the larger sphere.  We expect those who do not follow Christ to act like those who claim to follow him.  We expect people to live by our morality even when they do not share our beliefs. 

We place expectations on others without knowing what they think and feel.  We all do this.  It is at the core of our lack of showing true love for each other.  It is where we derail our ability to show love.  Imagine the good that can be done when we lovingly treat others well without placing expectations on them.

It becomes easy to do good things for others.  It is more difficult to avoid doing so without expectations.  It is in that expectation that we lose the unconditional nature of our loving acts.  We place a post-kindness condition on things.  This erodes the good that love can do for others.  It occludes one’s ability to see Christ in our kindnesses.

I must avoid placing unjust expectations on others.  I must love without condition and only expect what others guarantee.  Even then, I must be willing to forgive when they do not do as expected.  The zero-sum here is to expect nothing without being cynical.  It is a narrow balance that I must constantly seek.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment