17 July 2018

Second Thoughts ~ Good Morning Young Lady


Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently my eldest Son teased me about calling people young man and young lady.  I find it a graceful way to address people.  I like the idea of ageing into a quirky Southern gentleman and this fits.

In my Summer-school teaching role I encounter 4k through 4th graders.  I stand in the hall as they file in to greet them each day.  Yesterday I wished a fond “good morning young lady” to a four-year-old.  Without missing a beat she replied, “Good Morning Old-Man.”

Her mum was instantly mortified.  I reassured her that I was not offended in the least.  Mum went on to tell me that her daughter seemed to say whatever was on her mind without the least bit of hesitation.  I find this both delightful and challenging.  We must teach children to keep the honesty and adopt tact.  This is a tightrope that few adults manage well.

Today the little girl came up to me and said that she was sorry she called me an old man.  I assured her that I was not upset a bit and asked if I could still call her young lady.  She said that I could as long as I remembered her name too.  I said her name and promised to remember it always.

She smiled very broadly and thought for a moment.  Then she asked, “Will you remember it in ten years?”  I assured her that I would.

She asked, “Will you remember it in twenty years?”  Again, I reassured her that I would.

Dubious and doubtful she asked, “Will you remember my name in fifty years?”  I promised that I would.  With a large pout she said, “No you won’t because you’ll be dead.”  She stormed off.

We need to be honest but we also should choose what we say more carefully.  This young lady was sure I wound not be around in fifty years.  I hope to be so that I can see Halley’s Comet again.  I wonder if she knows something I do not.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment