12 July 2018

Won’t You be My Neighbor ~ Strangers and Aliens


Greetings Dear Reader,

One cannot listen to or view media without encountering the stories about securing our borders and those trying to cross them.  I am trying to gain a perspective on what the heart of this should be for me.  There are clear answers and I must be sure that I know what I believe and live accordingly., 

Even under the very strict laws of ancient Israel there were rules governing “strangers in the land.”  Exodus 22:21 "Never mistreat or oppress foreigners, because you were foreigners living in Egypt.”  The word for “foreigner” literally translates to “a temporary inhabitant, a newcomer lacking inherited rights.” 

I will not ignore that there are those who seek to enter our land with intent to do wrong.  We should have a system in place for this that works.  We do not.  What we must not do is let the innocent suffer because of what the guilty might do in our land.  We have failed at this in the past.  The interment of Japanese-AMERICANS during World War II is just one example. 

We must be safe but we must not violate the human rights of anyone to do so.  There is a way through all of this if we will be humane rather than political.  We can find a way to be a shining example of freedom and protect our land if we choose to do both.  We first need to stop arguing and be more neighborly about it.

The stranger in the land is still my neighbor.  I cannot claim to follow Christ and neglect this truth.  So I say to those seeking a life of freedom, hope, and safety “please won’t you be my neighbor?”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Twitter       Medium    
Novels on Amazon                      

No comments:

Post a Comment