12 August 2018

Fun with Flags ~ Closing Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

We rally around so many flags, banners, and protest signs.  We wave our flag and disrespect the flags we oppose.  I wonder if we realize that we betray our anger and hatred towards people through our free expression of hatred toward flags?

There are flags I see that trigger that in me.  They bring to mind evil acts done by nations or groups where people were harmed and human rights violated.  The fight is to remain one who loves my enemies.  It is easy to join in the spewing of hatred and demonizing “the enemy” to justify it. 

My obligation is to find a way to voice my concerns about injustice and wrong without hating the people involved.  Within our own nation we seem to have forgotten how to disagree without hating each other.  We have forgotten that our freedom to descent is begotten under the same flag. 

We can disagree.  If I hate you for disagreeing with me or disrespect your banner I am in the wrong even if my position is right.  If I win my cause by harming or destroying you, that is also wrong.  Further, if I disrespect the flag of the nation that provides me the freedom to fight for my cause, then I am ungrateful and hypocritical. 

I cannot follow Christ and fail to obey the rules.  They are simple to recite and hard to live.  That does not mitigate my obligation.  My heart must be for the people involved in every issue.  I must love an unpopular president even if his policies are opposite to my views.  I must love those who hate my country and burn my flag.  I must also look at my own values and assure that they do not violate that same obligation to love others.

It does not matter what my cause is, if I go into the fray with hatred in my heart I lose.  Even if I win I fail.  One can throw all of the situational arguments at it that one wishes.  None of them justifies unkindness and hatred.  It is a truth we may not like but it is truth.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment