09 August 2018

Fun with Flags ~ Interactive Interlude


Greetings Dear Reader,

Apparently there exists less understanding of the history of the Confederate flags and the South’s succession from the Union than I thought.  My post yesterday triggered some virulent responses from people who know me well enough to see past the issues to the effort.  It also showed how monocular we can become over our banners or the banners we hate.

As a teacher for most of my adult life and someone who loves history it saddens me that we carry so little understanding of the past into our present.  We cannot change the past.  It is there to teach us.  If we ignore part of history to favor our agenda then we no longer carry the truth.  We may be absolutely right concerning our position.  If we are right then right will bear up under the whole truth. 

If we have to ignore facts or even suppress part of the truth to further an agenda then our cause is no longer righteous.  Justice must be for everyone.  We cannot afford to ignore the truth in order to further even a righteous agenda.  When we hide truth, we lie.  When we ignore truth, we abandon the high ground for unjust willful ignorance.

If we do not see history as it truly Is then we will not understand why people rally around flags that represent horrible ideals.  Seeking truth and understanding does not validate evil.  Seeing how things came to be when they are bad may point out the thread that we can grasp to unravel a banner of hate and wrong.

I must embrace all truth no matter how I feel about it.  I cannot minimize its impact on history or my need to see the actions of those living in that time relative to the things that motivated them.  Again, I apologize that I stepped on some toes yesterday but liberty cannot survive without truth.  I cannot follow if I ignore truth to hold on to my ideals.  Perhaps the flag of truth is one of the few worth waving.

Faces of America – Dan Fogelberg

There was a time, a simpler time
When a man could be sure of where he stood
I used to work at the yard, working honest and hard
The hours were long but the pay was oh so good

I had a family and friends, oh so many friends
We'd drive to the lake on holidays
Back then it wasn't so dear for a sandwich or beer
At night I still dream I can see their faces

Certain things that you depend upon
There are places that you know
And the faces of America
Oh, where do they go, where did they go

I was born on a farm, a mid-western farm
I rode on the tractor with my dad
And though we never had much it was always enough
And we made the best with what we had

But then came four years of drought and the bottom dropped out
My father was broken like the rest
And I can still see his hands pining over his lands
And the bankers grow fat on the flesh of the dispossessed

Certain things that you depend upon
There are places I can go to sift the ashes of America
For someplace I used to know
Someplace I used to know
Someplace I used to know

There was a time, a simpler time
When a man could be sure of where he stood
I used to work at the yard, working honest and hard
The hours were long but the pay was oh so good

Certain things that you depend upon I used to think were guaranteed
Like the right of every man to work And feed his family
And the faces of America seem so distant and estranged
Have their eyes become too blind to see
How much their hearts have changed
How much their hearts have changed
How much their hearts have changed

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment