14 August 2018

Negating Needs ~ Practical Possession


Greetings Dear Reader,

During the ten years I taught information technology classes I would counsel my students about the dangers of the ever-expanding hardware offerings.  One of the practical things I offered was to refrain from looking at computer prices for six months after purchasing a new computer.  You will always find something better and less expensive if you do look.

Too often we would be discussing an advance in hard drives or video cards and a student would proclaim, “I need that $500 video card.”  This would always trigger a discussion of want versus need.  There are times when one needs to legitimately update one’s video card.  Wanting better colour and resolution does not constitute a need.

This is just one example of the ways in which we turn wants into needs in our own minds.  Having spent a year unemployed and needing to watch every penny, I have been reminded how simple my needs truly are.  A major step in negating needs is to realize that most things we think are needs are merely wants.  I convince myself that I need something because I want it so badly.

This has resulted in me possessing too many things.  If I am going to learn what I truly need to continue the journey well I need to diminish the material things in my life.  I need to clearly define the line between want and need when it comes to things. 

There is a time for us to indulge our wants.  Even under the law there is a command to use some of what we earn to purchase “whatever our heart desires.”  The important thing is to understand where that line is.   If I am honest then I will know it.  If there are things I want I can save toward them.  More important is that I learn to mitigate my wants and attend to my genuine needs.  That will lighten the load so that I can follow Christ more closely.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment