28 August 2018

Second Thoughts ~ Toothpicks


Greetings Dear Reader,

As I clean things to begin my journey I keep finding toothpicks.  I rarely use toothpicks except in cooking.  Mostly I use them to hold together things made with bacon.  This seems to be an excellent use for a toothpick.

My Daughter has this idea that toothpicks can be used to pick one’s teeth.  I suppose that is an obvious conclusion but it is not one that often occurs to me.  Without putting too fine a point on it I agree that this is the primary destiny of the toothpick as intended by its creator.

These toothpicks spread around my domicile are, however, serving another purpose. They are constantly reminding me of my priorities.  Instead of the usual irritation when I find them lying around as I have for the last ten years, I feel something completely different. I feel the absence of my Daughter in deep and piercing ways. 

It is odd how the little irritants of life can become looming reminders of all that is missing.  As I pulled a toothpick out of my foot tonight, I wept for the solitude around me.  I wept for what it will cost to make this transition.  I sobbed over the sin and failures that cause division.  I grieve for the loss of time and companionship that our selfishness and shortsighted natures create.

As I head down the road I will carry with me some of her favorite toothpicks.  Some are the ones I have packed away on purpose.  Others are the ones in the cracks and crevices of the passenger side of my car.  I cherish the latter ones the most.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment