01 August 2018

Surprised by Pain ~ Death and Loss


Greetings Dear Reader,

Death is such a difficult mercy.  Those who remain can be left with so much sorrow and pain.  For some it becomes insurmountable.   Others dare to put a clock on grief.  We must not do that to others.

I have lost a sister and a daughter.  I have seen grandparents depart.   I have also been criticized for how I deal with my loss.  Admittedly it is different than for others but that does not make it wrong.   I think that as a culture we do not deal with death well.  That does not mean that I should not try to help those who sorrow without hope.

I mentioned that in July I lost two friends and that it impacted me deeply.  I realize that the longer l live the more frequent these events will become for a bit.  Then if I live long enough the deaths of my peers will fade and I will see those younger than me begin to die.  This all sounds quite morbid but it is vital that we face it.

Realizing that one of death’s functions is to keep us honest is essential to making the journey less burdensome.  Death constantly reminds us that we are not free and that we are free as well.   The ever-breaking world we travel is not our home.  It is dark and full of terrors including the loss of those we love.  

Since we cannot avoid death, we must find a way to navigate it.   We must discern what keeps us moving toward the clearing at the end of the path.   We can find peace in the pain if we remember that the loss is not permanent.  I will not promise freedom from the pain.  That may not happen in this part of the journey.   It surely has not for me.

I can promise that I will be honest about the pain but not let it keep me from faith or following.  There is no hope for my sorrow if I abandon either.   I cannot stay Death.  That is why I wrote a book about him.   I can understand his purpose and refuse to neglect the gift that the Father provides in this mercy.  It is his choice of when, where, and how.  I must follow the Son until that time with all my heart.


You've got a face not spoiled by beauty
I have some scars from where I've been
You've got eyes that can see right through me
You're not afraid of anything they've seen

I was told that I would feel
Nothing the first time
I don't know how these cuts heal
But in you, I've found a light

If there is a light
You can always see
And there is a world
We can always be
If there is a dark
That we shouldn't doubt
And there is a light
Don't let it go out
And this is a song
A song for someone
This is a song
A song for someone

You let me into a conversation
A conversation only we could make
You're breaking into my imagination
Whatever's in there is yours to take

I was told that I would feel
Nothing the first time
You were so long to heal
But this could be the night

If there is a light
You can always see
And there is a world
We can always be
If there is a dark
Within and without
And there is a light
Don't let it go out
And this is a song
A song for someone
This is a song
A song for someone

And I'm a long way
From your hill on Calvary
And I'm a long way
From where I was, where I need to be
If there is a light you can always see
And there is a world we can always be
If there is a kiss I stole from your mouth
And there is a light, don't let it go out

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment