02 August 2018

Surprised by Pain ~ To Tell the Truth


Greetings Dear Reader,

It usually goes like this:
“How are you?”
“I’m great.  How about you?”
“Doing great too.”

Then we move on having lied the social lie we tell each other to save time and false comfort.  Inside we may be angry, sad, or hurting in other ways but we dare not be honest about how we feel with our fellow travelers.  We move on sweeping our feelings under the rug of busyness and it festers.

Sometimes when I am surprised by pain it is because I have not been honest about how much I am hurting.  We have evolved into a society where we are not honest about our feelings.  We maintain a pretense.  We keep things going and the pain hides within us until we can no longer contain it.

Then something breaks the dam.  It shatters under the weight of what we feel and how deeply we feel it.  The thing that breaks that dam can be anything; an old photo, a song, a voice.  We find ourselves drowning in the pain, rage, or despair that has burst forth unwanted but necessary.

If I am not honest about how I feel in the moment then I am not living in that moment.  This does not mean that I have to let it own that moment.  It does mean that I must be my true self.  I must feel what I feel but not let the feelings control me.  I must be true to who I am and who I am trying to become. 

Every time I suppress a feeling it becomes a burden in my journey.  It becomes a part of what I must carry into the next step of the journey.  It is the weight of these things that hinders my progress.  When I am surprised by pain it is an opportunity to be shed of some of that burden.  It is an opportunity to be honest with my heart.  It is a chance to become more real.  That is part of the journey; become real.  Real is all we were ever meant to be.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment