21 August 2018

What is a Christian? ~ Opening Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently I found myself in a situation where my brain was screaming for me to act in anger.  Parts of my personality that have been quelled for decades rose in me demanding to be loosed with free rein.  Instead I managed to walk away through the thought of Christ and his grace.

The visceral reappearance of not just my anger but my very violent young self, terrified me.  I spent most of the night battling that part of me and his sinister malevolence back into submission.  He posed some very reasonable arguments as to why I should let him choose my path for a bit.

I do not use the term Christian to describe who I am.  I do, however, wish to follow Christ.  In that moment, through that night, I wished nothing more than to find my way out of the anger and find again the path toward home. 

It has caused me to dwell deeply on what it is to be a Christ follower in the cognitive realm.  The discipline of the mind is key to following.  The mind must rule the heart when pain or sorrow seeks to take one from the path.  The will must assert sound reason over feelings when those feelings seek to betray what it means to be a Christ follower.

For the sake of putting my darker self into more permanent exile, I am going walk through what a Christ follower must be and do in the mind.  I must think through this thinking.  I could use some kind company Dear Reader.    

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment