13 September 2018

Journey Me ~ The Quality of Mercy


Greetings Dear Reader,

We often speak of the love and grace involved in the journey home.  Too often we neglect that other side of grace which is mercy.  We define grace as the Father committing righteousness to us at the expense of Christ’s sacrifice on our behalf.  We gain something we do not deserve by the actions of another.

Mercy is the other side of that coin.  When we are shown mercy, we do not get what we deserve.  We are given the chance to learn the lesson without the payment for our error.  We do not understand just how much mercy we are shown or how deeply that mercy goes.  I know that I do not often enough ask for mercy.

When my Sons were young and they would transgress I would sometimes try to teach them about mercy.  We would talk about the wrong done and agree that they deserved to be punished.  I would tell them that I wanted them to understand mercy and that on this occasion there would be no punishment.  It would be so that they could understand the quality of mercy. 

One afternoon my younger Son came into my office whilst I was writing.  “Dad, he began, “I think I need another lesson in mercy.”  I could not help but laugh at his attempt to arrange things in his favor.  He knew he had done wrong.  He knew what the consequences were.  He wished for mercy.

I have begun to pay more attention to the need for mercy in the journey.  I seek mercy for my failures and the consequences that echo through my life and the lives of others.  I beg the Father each day for mercy for my children that they will remember the faith they once embraced and come back to following Christ.  I ask mercy on our nation and our world. 

We have turned into a world that does not remember how deeply and desperately we need the Father’s mercy. The humility required to seek it seems lost to us.  The world grows further from this understanding daily. 

I know that I need mercy and grace in great measure.  I also need to find better ways to seek it and show it to others.  What about you Dear Reader?  From whom do you need mercy?  Upon whom do you need to bestow it?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment