08 September 2018

Second Thoughts ~ 52 Year Mission


Greetings Dear Reader,

I was living in an old Victorian home in what is not considered Mid-town Atlanta.  We had a orange-pink herculon sofa that was both hot and itchy.  The summer heat had lingered making the living room stuffy and intolerable. 

Even in the late evening with the windows open and the fan osculating its brief relief against my skin I could not get comfortable.  Mother insisted that I settle down and directed my attention to our small, tin-foiled eared black and white television.  She told me that I would like what was coming.  As if on cue the screen went black and a few stars blinked into place.  The words that would become my siren call crackled out of the monotone speaker.  “Space, the final frontier; these are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise…”

I do not recall if the allure was immediate or it built slowly through that first episode.  I do know, however, that for fifty-two years even the antiquated original series episodes continue to capture and connect with me.  So much of the child in me wishes it were all real in my time.  The wanderer in my soul longs to “seek out new live, new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.” 

On this anniversary of the original Star Trek series debut, I am forced to contemplate how much of an influence it has truly has on my life.  I do not believe in the no win scenario.  I do believe in infinite diversity in infinite combinations.  Logic and passion can live together in harmony.  Red shirts will be lost, ships will be destroyed, and tribbles are nothing but trouble. 

Still in all of it the one thing that rings true is that no matter the scope and complexity of the universe and it problems, the answer always comes down to exploring it and learning from it.  After all, it is not the sun up in the sky; it is the Son of God.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment