09 October 2018

Daily Bread ~ Pantries and Cupboards


Greetings Dear Reader,

For years I have had a larder and freezer filled with food ready to prepare at any time.  My intent was good.  The habit, in my mind, was based on good counsel from successful people.  I am realizing that it was actually a shield from a childhood fear.

There were times growing up when I did not have enough to eat.  There was a time as an adult when I did not have a way to get food for quite some time.  As I have tried to embrace the idea of being dependent on the Father for daily bread I have remembered these times and come to a realization:  I cannot be sure that I have ever allowed this effort to be solely me depending on the Father.  I am not sure that I know how.

I have watched God provide for me over the last year in ways that are both uncomfortable and amazing.  It is also obvious that he wants more.  It is not wrong to have food laid by and to use that abundance to be good to others.  It is wrong, however, for me to have my confidence in a full pantry.  My confidence is supposed to be in the Father to give me my daily bread.  When Jesus says this about praying he is literally saying that we are to be daily dependent upon the Father’s gift of sustenance. 

Our entire culture runs counter to that thinking.  Being able to do that takes mental discipline and faith.  I find my mind constantly asking how I am going to manage things tomorrow, next week, and on into the future.  This does not come from the planning part of my brain.  It comes from the worrisome part of my mind that finds security in knowing. 

If I am going to follow in faith then I do not need to know.  It is not blind faith but reasonable faith that realizes there is no real security in a filled cupboard or stocked freezer.  It is not my place to abandon this part of obedience to faith.  My security must come from allowing the Father to give me my daily bread. 

Later Jesus will amplify this by saying that we are not supposed to be worried about what we will eat or wear.  He will remind us that he does not even have a place to sleep.  It makes me wonder why we are so willing to count on him for eternity but not for lunch.  The more I consider it the more I think that this is part of the narrow way that we miss.  This is where the journey becomes real.

I hope you are still with me Dear Reader.  I am becoming excited to see how things will get worked out.  I need your prayers and desire for you to take part in the adventure with me.  It may be that we are in an entire system of things that are not part of the journey home.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             



No comments:

Post a Comment