12 October 2018

Daily Bread ~ Rituals


Greetings Dear Reader,

I grew up in an institution that used rote repetition for many things.  One of those things was the model prayer from Jesus that contains the line under ponderance.  Many refer to it as “The Lord’s Prayer”.  This practice, over and over had an impact on me that was not desired.

Because I was required to recite these words daily sometimes many times a day they became hollow to me.  I would fly over the words in my mind and not consider their weight and import.  That is neither wise nor acceptable.

If I examine the phrase “Give us this day our daily bread” with an honest mind, I see that there is great weight there.  In the ritual that I practiced without heart is a ritual that I am supposed to practice with all of my heart.  There is a ritual that required of us in this model prayer.

I am supposed to ask the Father to provide for me DAILY.  I wrote earlier in the week about larders and putting food by.  This is not a rehash of that (pun intended).  Rather, I want to ponder with you the implications of developing a ritual of dependence on the Father.  I am trying to do this whilst still being accountable to do what I am supposed to do for myself.

The latter half may be a hindrance to the former.  If we are to be dependent like “little children” on the Father then it needs to be one of complete faith.  This does not mean that I do not work or do what I am supposed to do.  It does mean that I wake up every single day willing to trust the Father to supply all that I need.

This is very hard for me.  I have very scarce images of a loving father on which to rest my dependence.  What I do have is in the distant past.  Fortunately, that is not up to me.  Instead, it is only required that I allow the Father to be a father to me.  Everything about asking the Father to provide is an act of faith. 

The ritual that I must have is being dependent on the Father out of faith.  I must daily seek out the one who created and loves me to provide for his creation that he loves.  Even in this moment that scares me Dear Reader.  I want to be someone who trusts the Father.  I long to see the ritual without rote of depending on my Father to provide for me. 

The crux is that it takes doing it daily to live it daily.  It requires being dependent in the moment to follow in each moment.  That is how little children are and what I am intended to be always.  So, I am going to try to turn this faltering attempt into a living ritual based on love and faith.  Oh, and if you did not notice the pronoun in the line is “US” not me.  Join me if you will Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment