05 October 2018

Second Thoughts ~ Salmon Colored Dawn


Greetings Dear Reader,

On a winter morning twenty-three years ago, I took my eldest Son for apple fritters at the local bakery.  We were living in a small town in the North Georgia mountains.  It was one of our elbow-to-elbow times that we enjoyed so much when he was younger. 
  
As we drove into town the sky was vibrant with pink and orange clouds set ablaze by a late rising winter sun.  We share our joy in the beauty of God’s creation and our love for each other in getting to share the temporary art of the sunrise. 

I penned this poem shortly after that morning:

Dawn Spawn

Salmon dawn swims against the darkness,
Spawning another day.
Yet it is we who face the peril of fighting the flow,
Ours is the call to return
to that place,
to that time,
to our birth.
It is our internal call to move upstream,
to climb the falls,
to defy the very nature of things,
to prevent the death of day.
So that when today’s fight against the ever-encroaching darkness is done,
We have given birth to more light, more love, more life.
So that that day will come when day will never need spawning again.

Little did I know how fleeting that time was or what darkness I would fail to swim against.  I failed to prevent death and sustain life.  It is not the physical life that mattered but rather my failure to sustain the faith and spiritual life my family.

This morning I am back in that same town as the days turn toward Autumn.  I was on my way into town again this morning to visit a coffee shop and internet café.  The Father greeted me with a similar sunrise that brought tears to my eyes and a reminder of his power to renew things. 

I cannot change my past failures but I can swim against any tide or stream necessary to fight the darkness of today.  I can become more light and less darkness.  I can hope to find a way to restore what I helped destroy because I did not fight the darkness with all that I could.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Facebook      Google +   
Twitter            Medium    
Novels on Amazon             

No comments:

Post a Comment