15 February 2011

All Potential

Greetings Dear Reader,

I got to spend a lovely afternoon holding my Grandson last Friday. One of the things I pondered as he smiled and slept in my arms was how new everything is to him. At this point there is an entire universe to open up to him. His primary occupations are intake, output, and sleep. He has just begun to interact with others and it is already obvious that he like certain things like light and bright colour.

Everything about him is opportunity. His journey of discovery is just beginning whilst mine is fifty one years down the path. One of the things I remember my Grandfather doing was always encouraging my investigation and discovery. He never taught me to fear things but always cautioned my on approaching things with awareness and care. That guiding factor is one I hope to emulate. I want to participate in his discovery by keeping him safe whilst letting him choose what interests him.

His Father commented recently about people wanting my Grandson to do what they want him to do instead of letting him be what he wishes. I determined into that moment not to fall into the trap of insisting that he interact with me instead of what interests him. It surely paid off last Friday. For the first time he genuinely interacted with me. It only lasted a few moments and it was him looking me in the eye and smiling. It was far more valuable than if I had insisted he look at me instead of the lights and colour that usually entertain him. It was his choice and his discovery of me that brought the joy.

After pondering this for a few days I have thought of something else. I turned fifty one last week and feel fairly far down the path. In God’s eyes, however, I am just beginning to discover the universe. My life is barely a blip along the scope of eternity. I am barely scratching the surface of what there is to discover about God and following his Son. There are many influences that want me to follow them to follow Christ. There are many voices that vie for my attention in understanding who I am in relation to God. Like my Grandson, I am naturally drawn to the light and there are voices that would rather I see them than the light that calls for my attention.

I think that my beloved Grandson has already taught me a very valuable lesson.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment