24 February 2011

The Prime Directive

Greetings Dear Reader,

For those that know me well it is not news that I have a lifelong love for Star Trek. It started when I was six and has ebbed and flowed throughout my life. My children appreciate it and even watch some of its iterations on their own at times. For the unfamiliar, the Star Trek universe possesses a singular guiding principle; The Prime Directive . The link will take you to the Wikipedia article about said directive. Many stories in that universe hang on this noble and sometimes difficult principle.

I have a prime directive. I do not follow it as often as I wish I did but I treasure it none-the-less. If I am to follow Christ then I must follow the directive he gave me. When asked what the greatest commandment was “Jesus answered him, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the greatest and most important commandment. The second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' All of Moses' Teachings and the Prophets depend on these two commandments."

By extension, anything I do must proceed from this directive. Any decision, action, or attitude must be an extension of working toward better loving God and my neighbor. Anything I choose to take as an axiom or application in life must be filtered through the directive. The directive must purge my pride and selfishness daily. I must see others as God sees them not through my own pitiful lenses. Enemies are forbidden me. In the journey toward God I must always be vigilant of the dangers inherent in violating this directive.

Today I feel that I have so far to go in this journey. I had to make a hard decision yesterday and it was difficult to purge my self from the equation. A friend helped me see what was best but I felt so very sure what I wanted was what was right. I was so very wrong. The only way any of this works is through faith.

It's been a long road
Getting from there to here
It's been a long time
But my time is finally near

And I can feel the change in the wind right now
Nothing's in my way
And they're not gonna hold me down no more
No they're not gonna hold me down

'Cause I've got faith of the heart
I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe
I can do anything
I've got strength of the soul
And no one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star
I've got faith, I’ve got faith, faith of the heart

It's been a long night
Trying to find my way
Been through the darkness
Now I've finally had my day

And I will see my dream come alive at last
I will touch the sky
And they're not gonna hold me down no more
No they're not gonna change my mind

'Cause I've got faith of the heart
I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe
I can do anything
I've got strength of the soul
And no one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star
I've got faith, I’ve got faith, faith of the heart

I know that we're so cold
We've seen the darkest days
But now the winds I feel
Are only winds of change
I've been through the fire
I've been through the rain
But I'll be flying, oh yeah

'Cause I've got faith of the heart
I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe
I can do anything
I've got strength of the soul
And no one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star
I've got faith, I’ve got faith, faith of the heart

It's been a long road – Faith of the Heart – Watson Russell

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous24/2/11 15:51

    Nice reminder that the best path can often be occluded, but none-the-less is still the best path home. Too bad we often know where we've been only after we've arrived.

    In my own walk today, I thought about death as a letting go. I thought about the peace that would come. I thought about Christ on the cross letting go of life and in that moment having eternal life.

    I thought that since I will someday exhale my last and let go of life, and I too will have a grand releif then, well...why not let go a little bit now. Why not let go of all that burdens me? After all, if I'm going to so freely let go of the worries later, why hold on to them all now. So, I let go of some...not all of them, not all the way...not the time for that yet... I'm way too busy...too much needs doing.

    But still, in the stillness, I let go a little and feel the relief of eternal peace.

    ReplyDelete